Improve Facilities

Helping you become streamlined… for a better bottom line

To remain competitive, facilities need to be optimized starting with a complete view of the entire organization, even if it’s only a departmental initiative. This helps to perfect workflow and business continuity, while at the same time bringing renewed energy to employees by reducing stress levels, increasing effectiveness, and creating a cultural understanding of the hierarchical landscape. The results are highly-tuned facilities, people, and productivity.

In 2005, according to Employment and Earnings (BLS, January 2006), 104 million Americans out of the total nonfarm laborer population of 136.2 million (76.3%) were working full-time (defined as thirty-five hours or more), while the remaining 23.7% were working fewer than thirty-five hours per workweek (defined as part-time). The average part- and full-time workweek in 2005 was 39.2 hours per week, while the average full-time employee worked 42.9 hours per week. The total part-time workforce of 32.4 million comprised 12.5 million men (38.6%) and 19.9 million women (61.4%). Of those who usually work full-time, men worked an average of 44.2 hours per week in 2005, and women worked an average of 41.1 hours per week.

In 2005, 27.9% of all nonfarm workers spent more than forty-one hours per week on the job, and 44.2% of agricultural workers labored more than forty-one hours per week.

Some occupations require more time than others. For example, in 2005, transportation and material-moving workers labored an average of 40.9 hours per week

Read more: The American Workplace - How Much Time Do Americans Spend At Work? - Hours, Occupations, Labor, January, Workers, and Related

Bulletproof every aspect of the enterprise

The demands on facilities are becoming increasingly complex. Major shifts or subtleties in regulations, compliances, and the working environment are constant, as is the need to minimize risk and downtime. This is a unique competency for MLC that rounds out our comprehensive consulting offering, and is a service that allows way for clients to have more time to work on their competency, not on red-tape and bureaucracy. This is an often overlooked area, but fortunately ... MLC makes it a point to overlook – NOTHING!

Environments... safe, efficient, compliant

  • Hazard Mitigation Planning
  • Threat, Vulnerability, & Capabilities Risk Assessments
  • Facility Assessments
  • Facilities Recovery Plans
  • Facilities Disaster Recovery Training & Exercises
  • Security Assessments
  • Workflow Evaluation & Documentation
  • Technology Integration